The grass has been cut for the first time this year. I seem to spend most of my time carrying plants from house to greenhouse every day, the temperatures are still far yo low at night. Some days the small chilli plants don't even make it to the greenhouse. The tomato plants have been potted up into their individual pots and the courgette plants which are doing well. Some of the peas planted this week have been eaten by the mice, so some have needed re-seeding and are now covered! Some traps gave also been added!!
Couldn't resist a beautiful rose for the flowerbed at the back of the house- English Princess, a lovely scented pink rose! Slightly disappointed that it may not be so good for cutting.
On my wish list for the next few weeks.
Buddleja, at least three- pink,purple and red
Lavatera , two types - Barnsley and
Replacement Thyme plants,various
One white Rose. Research to be done, has to be scented, not too big and good for cutting!
Taking lots of pictures, but seem unable to upload them. Might have to wait until the support person returns from work tomorrow. Pretty mild at the moment, which means we will have to start cutting the grass soon!
My New Years resolution is to take every week a photo from various parts of the garden so that I can see how the garden looks throughout the seasons and to make records of what I am planting to monitor success and failures!
Who needs a gym when you can do double digging!!!!Nearly six hours of it, but another bed has been done. Three in total now, 115cm wide and 300cm long. Had nice chat with neighbours regarding soil- very good, although I find it back breaking and pollination-very reassuring. Anna also had a lovely time sitting in the tree and communication with the pheasants. Not sure who is noisier. Anna made her first cup of tea this morning and was so pleased with her skill that I had three in the morning and nil in the afternoon. Tidied up the plot, taking rope and sticks away and putting left over grass strips on the compost heap. Have now found the lid of compost bin, it was by the side of the garage. Last task of the day was to water trees, since it was very hot today and will again be tomorrow, for tonight we are expecting frost though.
11th of April 2007 Planted my apple trees this afternoon. I have added a bucket of compost and two handfuls of Bone Meal to each hole before planting the trees. Not sure if Bone Meal is organic, must check up on this! Hammering the stakes in with a large stone was quite a challenge. So that the ties don't rub so much on the stem I have done them in a figure of eight. Very pleased with my work! To settle them in I have also given each a bucket of water and will do so for the rest of the week. Also planted my garlic and started on double digging my third bed. Taken my husbands advice not to overdo it I only did 1/5 and then went for long soak in the bath. Did a certain amount of research and found out that Bramleys are triploids and therefor require two other apple trees either within the same group or one either way for pollination. Katy also not the best will do and with a bit of luck there may be another apple tree not too far away to help with pollination, otherwise I better get another tree soon.